jimWe had our meeting with the Hospice today. Very nice lady came to visit and we discussed my situation. Amy and I were both distressed to find out that this entire region has no “outside of home” hospice options. In other words, I can only pass away at home in front of my small children. This is really something we wanted to avoid. Apparently, you can’t even expire at the hospital anymore. I am just concerned with burdening my girls with the memory of me in a hospital bed in the house going through all my end-stage phases. We will keep working on it. Hopefully we can find a solution.

I want to stress I am not going into Hospice yet, this was our informational visit based on my terminal diagnosis.

My palliative chemotherapy has been much rougher for me this time. I’ve been battling stomach problems but I was warned about that. I just try to keep positive and keep fighting. I just got another full dose yesterday and its hitting me very hard and making me feel sick. I know it’s intended to battle my tumors, but it’s hard to get past the fact that pumping my body with poison for 48 hours straight is a good thing.

I’ve also been struggling with ample scar tissue pain in my lungs left over from my time in the Reno, NV  hospital. This discomfort feels like a tight burning in my lungs combined with plenty of numbness and pain. The doctors are telling me it’s normal,  but I had really hoped to be free of all this chest pain before starting chemo. Too late for that.

The donations and gifts have been incredible. I am in a difficult position where I just can’t provide for my family as I have my entire life. So I have nothing but heartbreaking gratitude for all of you who have helped us both through the fundraising sight and through personal gifts and donations including winter coats for my children among other amazing gifts that will ease the burden to my family during this already difficult time.

We also have a new way you can help us out. If you already shop on amazon and use this link, our family fund will receive a small percentage gift with everything you purchase and it won’t cost you anything more than you would have spent on amazon anyway. So shop and help us out with medical and transportation expenses.

More to come this weekend, and I’m glad the tech issues for this blog are now fixed.  Looking forward to getting back to blogging to keep my mind busy.

With Fierce Hope,

little jim

8 Thoughts on “Hospice Plans and Other Updates

1. Kristine Cassan on November 21, 2014 at 4:15 am said:

We are fighting with you Jim!!!!!! Sending tons of prayers!!!!!!

2. Helen Byrnes on November 21, 2014 at 5:28 am said:

I’m praying that you will find a way to work out all of the problems you are facing. I know there are many of us praying for you daily. I think God will provide what you need as the need comes up. Try not to worry because it is usually interest paid of trouble that seldom happens. You are blessed with a wonderful family and friends. You are a very strong person and I’m sure you are helping many others who are fighting the same battle. Keep strong.

3. April Valvani on November 21, 2014 at 6:49 am said:

You are an inspiration to me! Keep fighting! I would love to help out with a donation & also with some gifts for your kids at Christmas!! Sondra & I grew up together & I sent her a message to find out how to get in touch!

❤️ April

4. Tim Schenken on November 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm said:

It os not close but they may have some information- Hospice of the Panhandle, Martinsburg.

5. John Friedrich on November 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm said:

We miss you and your family here in Tahoe. I know you must feel awful in the midst of the chemo treatments, lingering chest pain, etc. Your bravery and clear-headedness about dealing with all that, plus your choices ahead, is incredible. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs and love to Amy and the girls.
    — John

6. Debbie (your mom's cousin) on November 21, 2014 at 10:11 pm said:

God Bless you Jim. Your courage and strength truly shows in your Blogs. I think you are such an incredible person – with everything your going through your family is first and foremost your priority and they must feel so blessed that you are more concerned on how they are dealing with your illness and how it will affect them. You are a real inspiration to all of us!

7. I love reading your posts Jim. Your are such an inspiring person. Sending love and positive thoughts to you and your family.

8. Bruce Peele on November 29, 2014 at 5:51 pm said:

Jim-Your courage and grace exemplify greatness to me. I am so moved by your concern for your children, and I’m sure that extends to all around you. I’m rooting for you down here in the Florida Keys, and I know my sister and everybody else up at ATC in Harper’s Ferry are as well-